- This event has passed.
Equity in Public Schools: Supporting our Communities through School Design
June 2 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pmFree
This virtual event will explore equity in the education systems, communities, and school facilities of three local public school districts – Alexandria City Public Schools, Baltimore City Public Schools, and Prince George’s County Public Schools – each with distinctive challenges, demographics, populations, and settings. We will hear presentations from school system leaders facing challenges of inequity and resource disparity in their communities and schools, and the unique strategies established by each for the planning, design, and procurement of school facilities, followed by a facilitated discussion.
This event will focus on:
- The specific equity goals of each local school system
- Considerations and strategies for the allocation of resources to optimize educational equity and support surrounding communities
- Approaches to community engagement and distinct impacts of improved neighborhood connections
- Strategies to overcome diversity and inclusion obstacles in our education systems
Moderator: Jenine Kotob, AIA – Northern Virginia CAE Co-Chair
– Dr. Gregory C. Hutchings, Jr., Superintendent, Alexandria City Public Schools
– Cyndi Smith, Director of Facilities Design and Construction, Baltimore City Public Schools
– Dr. Alicia J. Hart, Executive Director of Facilities and Operations, Alexandria City Public Schools
– Erika Gulick, Director of Capital Programs, Planning, and Design, Alexandria City Public Schools
– Jason Washington, Director of Public-Private Partnerships Program, Prince George’s County Public Schools
This free event is in partnership with AIA Baltimore, AIA DC, and AIA Northern Virginia.
For special accommodations to this event, please contact Olivia Miles, AIA Baltimore Communications at email@example.com
1.5 LU/HSW pending. Registration