- This event has passed.
Governor’s Summit on Equitable Collaboration
February 17 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Shaping a more inclusive Commonwealth
The Governor’s Summit on Equitable Collaboration is hosted by the UVA Institute for Engagement & Negotiation in partnership with Governor Ralph Northam and his administration. This event is for all those who might be involved or interested in community engagement, collaboration, and equity – whether in health, education, natural resources, or community development. We hope you all will attend this virtual event where people from across the Commonwealth will have an opportunity to learn about Equitable Collaboration, to share their own tools, and to discuss Virginia policy needs to advance Equitable Collaboration.
IEN’s new Equitable Collaboration framework – itself the expression of decades of thinking and researching our field of practice and the discipline of conflict resolution – has been developed and challenged. These six elements – adaptive, deliberative, inclusive, responsive, trauma-informed, and truth-seeking – guide how community conversations may be designed and conducted, whether through a single meeting, a community dialogue, or a long-term collaborative change process. The Toolkit itself is a product of a robust engagement process. A diverse national advisory committee helped develop the structure and nature of the content for the Toolkit. It is available as an online resource and may be downloaded as a pdf at transformingcommunityspaces.org.
- Introduce and showcase the six principles for Equitable Collaboration.
- Review the growth and trajectory of collaboration in Virginia, and its future needs to ensure equity.
- Illustrate the six principles for Equitable Collaboration through case studies in health, education, natural resources, and community development.
- Enable participants to share resources around equitable collaboration approaches, tools, resources.
- Enable participant discussion and input for policy needs in Virginia to advance equitable collaboration.
Ralph S. Northam
Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia
Janice Underwood, PhD
Chief Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer, Commonwealth of Virginia
Mamie Parker, PhD
Department of Wildlife Resources Board Member, Former Head of Fisheries, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services